Racing fits are bloody uncomfortable, with the bars often as much as 5"
below seat height. It's very aerodynamic and restricts breathing. Racers
run them because most of them need the aero improvements to keep up with
the guys with incredible lungs. I run midway between the 'French fit'
(bars at seat height, typical for a touring bike, hybrid or many MTB's
as well as almost all long-distance riders, the fit most people should
be getting when the shop sells them a road bike) and an 'Eddy' fit (Bars
around 5cm below seat height, aero enough to race but allows you to
breathe fully, popularized by Eddy Merckx and used to devastating effect
by Lance Armstrong). If I was to do any real long distance riding I'd
flip my stem to ease up on the back, but my rides are rarely longer than
3-4 hours so I go for the more aggressive setup.

Bar shape and 'race' type uncomfort are very seperate things. And those
3-speed bars are better than modern riser bars for general riding as
they put your wrists and forearms in a more natural position. Note these
are also known as 'Priest' bars. I still wouldn't want to ride more than
an hour or two with them at one go.

-Adam