On May 20, 2007, at 5:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Paul: "yawn"
> I think that's silly. The is the most  crucial junction Pentax has
> ever been
> at (since I have been on list anyway,  about 5-6 years). It could
> easily be
> bought out and the camera division gotten  rid of. Currently, that
> is not the
> way it appears to be going, but it still  could.
>
> You don't think I will immediately dump my Pentax gear if that
> happens? You
> don't think others will?
>
> I just hope, whatever happens, the  list continues.

Sure, it's a question mark as to what's going to happen. But I don't
see the point of a bazillion speculative posts about something that I
have no power to affect, and on which I have insufficient, unreliable
information.

My perspective on this stuff is that of a person trying to do
photography. Pentax doesn't give me anything for my loyalty, I pay
them for the privilege of using their products. I hope they stay in
business but I don't count on it.

While I've been quite happy with the Pentax equipment I've purchased
over the past few years and have invested a healthy dollop of money
into it, it's just equipment. What I have in Pentax gear now works
very well and I'm quite happy with it. I hope they survive, endure
and prosper, so much as to continue providing warranty and service
support as because I think they are a respectable equipment company
with interesting, high quality products that ought to survive. But if
they can't make it, well, I'll move on to other equipment when I need
it. My work is more important to me than the brand of cameras I use.

I wouldn't immediately dump all my Pentax gear if they were
dismantled. What's the point? Better to use it until it doesn't do
the job any more or slowly replace it with more current gear as it
becomes obsolete. That extracts the value out of it. One strategy
might be to pick up a spare K10D body and prolong the usability of
the kit, get more value out of it. Of course, other practical people
might buy up whatever is left in the distribution chain as a good
deal too.

Regards the PDML community, there is no reason whatever that the PDML
community couldn't go on for as long as people felt so inclined. And
even if Doug Brewer decided to close it down in disgust, it only
takes ten minutes with Yahoo.com to create a new mailing list forum
and invite all the active participants to join in. I'm involved in
running several other photographic email forums: you would be welcome
to join in the photographic groups whenever you wanted to.