Pentax WAS in the red with the camera division, you know that. It was
underperforming, so stating so was a matter of fact.

The one basic thing that Herb and some of us were trying to say, is that it
really doesn't matter how Pentax percieves itself or how you, I, other
Pentax brand owners perceives the company.  First they're a public company.
Second they have a small footprint in consumers' eyes, face competitors that
are better healed, more competitive, and have 10X higher profit margins, and
better brand recognition.  Third, looking at what was happening to other
small and long recognized camera brands, it wasn't rocket science to figure
out that things weren't looking great.

The raison d'etra for any company is making money.  When a division ceases
to be profitable, or is seen as a liability when compared to other more
profitable divisions, prudent investors question the management, and prudent
management look for ways to make changes.

I don't understand your problem with Herb in particular.  He was no more
parroting the industry than a newspaper parrots it's sources when it
encloses words in quotation marks.  Repeating what one hears in an attempt
to disseminate information, and interpreting it, is not a crime. Even if one
presupposes what will happen and they're wrong, so what?  Who isn't wrong at
times? It seems like a case of shoot the messenger.

Tom C.