Electronics wear out just like anything else.  Cycling it on and off
creates heat stress in connections at the very least.  Mechanical
switches are a week point they wear out from physical movement, seals at
those points wear as well, and replacement parts after 30 years will be
made out of Unobtainium .  Even if the electronics survive, batteries
can be a problem.  I have a small collection of HP calculators that are
at least 30 years old that would work perfectly except that batteries in
the proper form factor are no longer manufactured.  I recycled the
plastic shells until they could no longer be re-assembled.  After that
it was easier to just buy a crappy new calculator.  (Luckily when my
original HP 42s crapped out, (keyboard failed), the replacement HP sent
me used S76 cells, instead of the original PX13s...)

--
All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.