My point is you spent 10 hours fixing a broken washer.  I value my time
at about $70.00 an hour spending 10 hours diagnosing something on that
basis I would be $375 in the hole.  Actually I replace about half of
them as a prophylactic measure.  Only two absolutely needed to be
replaced, the rest were well on their way to failing and at less that
$1.00 each it was well worth replacing them all at the same time.  The
switch was dodgey and on it's way to failure as well.  I could probably
have monkeyed around with to make it work better, but only a couple of
bucks extra it seemed a no brainer to replace it at the same time.