Marnie - wrong.
They do not hold a copyright on the National Archive Material. They
hold a copyright on their representation of that material.
Like the example I posted earlier: commercial publishers take the
free Pub 17 from the IRS (the basic manual on how to do your income
taxes), they copy it, and sell it. They copyright what they sell, and
it would be illegal for you to copy and sell that commercial
publication. But there is nothing to stop you from copying and
selling the IRS Pub 17.

If Getty had exclusive rights to distribution, then I wold agree that
the public got screwed, as we do with every ounce of ore and oil that
is taken from public lands in exchange for payment of miniscule
"royalties." But I don't believe Getty has exclusive rights. And so
there really is no issue.

Stan