Tim Øsleby wrote:

> And now, the PHOTO:
> You may remember this
> http://foto.no/cgi-bin/bildegalleri/vis_bilde.cgi?id=308716
>
> But I'm open to most suggestions.
> Unless they means to go back to reshoot. Havent got time for that. It ain't
> snowing all year here ;-)

I refrained from commenting on the "Heavy Weather" series originally,
because, personally, I found nothing too appealing in the shots.  I
understand the concept and the idea for the series and I truly
understand adverse shooting conditions.  But since you seem to be really
fond of this shot, I'll tell you what I don't like about it and offer a
suggestion or two.

First, the oyster catcher (middle bird), drags my attention straight to
its bright, red beak.  This is unfortunate since it is out of focus.  I
know it's not meant to be in focus for the layering effect (see below)
but it's just bad luck that it's the brightest thing in the frame and
I'm distracted by bright, shiny objects.

Second, I don't like the pose of the lapwing (foreground bird).  It's a
nice bird, but its rear end is not that interesting and conflicts with
the profiles of the other two birds.

Third, nothing is really in critical focus.  I think for this layering
effect to work, you need one bird in super-sharp focus.  Just as an
example and with entirely different weather conditions (overcast, no
snow) check out: http://tinyurl.com/2emxee  The shooting angle is
similar (slightly above) and the idea was the same.  I wish my birds
weren't intersecting and for that I missed THE shot too (again, in my
opinion).  With static birds (perched, standing, etc) I REALLY think
critical focus is the key.  Seriously, if I miss focus, especially on
the eye, by more than a hair, I delete the image.

So, MY suggestion; what I would do with this image; I would go back and
try again another day.  You say you "don't have time" but really, as a
hobbyist, all you have is time.  It'll snow again, the birds will be
there again and you can use other images for your display in the
meantime.  I guess I don't "push" my images to fill a gap or try to make
them into something they can't be.  Perhaps it's an experience thing.  I
improved a ton in the past 6 or so years as my shooting increased (and
still have a lot more to go!).  Maybe that's why I am so critical of my
own work, because I KNOW I'm capable of better.  It's just a matter of
going back and doing it again and learning from my errors.  Instead of
fixing a current image, I'll shoot another of the same
subject/location/style, remembering why I didn't like the original.
Sometimes, for example Australian birds (the parrots there are amazing),
I might have to wait several years to re-shoot.

Any way, my 2 Kroner.  Only meant to help you since you seem to have an
interest in something I have a real passion for.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net