> From: Jack Davis
> My AF540 is now at Pentax CO. being 'repaired' due to my having had the
> same sort of experience. I mentioned this previously (a couple times),
> but I discussed the problem with a Pentax tech who told me it should be
> sent in for repair.
> I shipped the manual with the flash, so can't check, but it may be that
> if the diffusion panel is pulled down, it will not recognize the
> lens.(?)
>
> Jack
> --- John Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> recently purchased the K-10D. My workhorse lens, purchased several
> years ago along with a PZ-1P is a Tokina AT-X 287 PRO f/2.8 28-70 mm
> zoom. I used an AF-500FTZ flash with the PZ-1P.
>
> So I bought the AF-540FGZ.

As far as that goes, the manual is very difficult to understand on that
page, but I finally figured it out in baby steps. The flash is
definately defective.

It won't switch from autozoom to manual (or now between any of the
manual zoom levels or back into autozoom).
The sync mode switch has no effect. It stays in front curtain sync, no
matter what position you place the sync mode switch in. There's no TTL
mode, only PTTL, A, M, and SB.

Verified on K-10D, *ist-D and PZ-1P.

It just ain't working like it's supposed to.