On Jun 7, 2007, at 3:44 AM, graywolf wrote:

> The thing is rated at 30 pages a minute. You will have noted that
> it only printed 10 pages a minute above. Three reasons for that: 1.
> duplex is a lot slower than one sided as the paper path for
> printing the second side is a lot longer than it is straight from
> the tray. 2. The printer slows down after a couple of minutes,
> apparently to keep the heat levels down. 3. They lie!

IIRC the ppm ratings refer to multiple copies of the same page, so
the print engine only needs to render it once.

Last year we got a cheap Brother HL-2020 which, surprisingly, will
quite happily work through a JetDirect box on the network.  I was
also surprised at its speed but it does leave a bit of a curl in the
paper.  We only have manual duplex though (and only from the Windows
machine).

- Dave