On Jun 7, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Digital Image Studio wrote:

>> I tell the Apple Backup application to exclude the subdirectories
>> that cache and temp files are stored in. There should be a way to do
>> that with any useful backup utility.
>
> Of course I could do that but then my data wouldn't be backed up. My
> problem is that incremental back-ups are impractical (but preferable
> on a system drive as they allow regressive restoration) as they add to
> the previous back-up. Hence I have to execute a full back-up each
> time. If I could redirect them I could place them on secure drives and
> they wouldn't fragment my system drive and would save me a little
> time.

Backing up temp and cache files is ridiculous. They're not your data,
they're the applications and OS transient data stores and are
recreated automatically, dynamically, as the system and applications
run. Backing them up is simply a waste of space in the archive.

I use the incremental Backup application to do all my regular account
things and exclude all transient temp files and caches, as well as
the photographic files.

Photo files are large and I don't want to use incremental backups on
them ... that would waste a tremendous amount of space as well. I
only want the latest versions replicated in the backup stores. I use
a file synchronizer to back them to the archives specifically rather
than an incremental backup utility.

It proves to be an efficient system. The photo backups run every
evening automated, or when I say "do it now", the main system backup
runs every week. Backup storage capacity is consumed at an economical
rate this way.

Godfrey