Hi,

It may be hard drive hardware problem. I have had quite a few new
drives dying after a few weeks and the computers then acting strangely.

Maybe you could try booting a Linux-on-cd or some other OS to see
if the hardware works? You might also want to connect the hard drive
to another computer as a second drive (maybe one running Windows XP)
and test it there.

One thing about Vista: my 3 year old HP Business laptop does the
same at some boots, but works fine about 95% of the other boots.
The computer reads the hard drive for some time at boot, but then
only a blinking cursor (display in text mode) in the top left corner.
This also happens sometimes after resume from hibernation. All what I
need to do to fix this is a reboot. I have heard of similar problems
from
others, so this kind of behaviour is normal for Vista in some cases, not

necessarily a hardware problem after all. My version is Vista Business.
I would update the bios first to see if there is a problem with it. A
lot
of computers need bios updates to successfully run Vista. I think it is
problem with Vista unsuccessfully initializing the display card for some

reason and then hang. Maybe a display driver compatibility problem.

Hope this helps,
Antti-Pekka

Antti-Pekka Virjonen

Computec Oy