Walter Hamler wrote:

>Actually, I think they've stopped making them now, but they did so only
>a couple of years ago. Or at least, I seem to remember seeing something
>on TV about the "last batch of Beetles rolling out from the factory" in
>a not too distant past...
>
>- Toralf
>
>I haven't really kept up, but in the late 80"s I full restored a 73 Beetle,
>not the super version. It was a fun car and I really enjoyed it until I
>traded it for a 73 VW Camper Van. I brought it with me to FL but the
>registration fees were so stiff on cars brought into the state then that I
>sold it before I had to register/title. I still wish I had that camper!!
>
>Walt

Sanfedele and I had a VW bus from the late 60's onward (until we broke
up,anyway,  hehe)
My husband totally redid the interior and made it into a better camper -
I don't think I would every have been able to drive it.

One JUly 4th weekend, on the way to the north to camp, we got stopped by
the state police and we think it was pretty much because we were driving
a "hippy bus" and my husband had a full beard .  He asked of we had any
firecrackers or drugs.
 Unbeknowst to me, a friend in the car had a film canister of .. um.. a
controlled
substance and especially stupidly hid it in the car - fortunately, this
wasn't discovered until we were up in the woods.

The cop had Bob in his cruiser for a while.   I finally went over and
asked if it would be much longer because we
were only going up the road to the Bright Star Diner for breakfast and I
really needed a john... Bob picked up
the hint and told the guy I had bladder problems.  - He let us go and
followed us to the diner... between my
plumbing comment and the fact that I knew the name of the restaurant
 this was accomplished.

so, um, Walt - were you a hippy?

ann