>I was contemplating getting a 300mm Lens. I use LX’s and MX’s so I
>was thinking of getting a manual focus lens. There is an SMC M
>300mm f4 on ebay right now that I was thinking of bidding on. I was
>also thinking of getting a 2x tele-converter to use in conjunction with
>it. I wanted to get some opinions on the variations of 300mm lenses
>(excluding the the f2.8, too big and too expensive), what is the best
>and how much do they go for? Is the A better then the M? Are they
>compatible with a 2x converter and can you get good results with
>that combination.
>Also a 300mm sold on ebay a while back, it was listed as a
>Greenstar, what is Greenstar?

IMO the best Pentax slow 300mm is the SMC PENTAX-F* 300/4.5 ED [IF] which
comes with a tripod collar. This is the only one with tripod collar so far.
If you plan to put a 2X TC on a 300mm without a tripod collar, the vibration
might be too much to be useful. The current FA* is optically identical to
the F* but without a tripod collar.

regards,
Alan Chan