On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:50:28 -0600, Joseph Tainter wrote:

> Yes, PhotoPaint 8 will open an 8-bit BMP file but not an 8-bit TIF file.
> Comparing the two, I find that the BMP file is about 25 mb and the TIF
> file about 29 mb. So is the BMP file losing some information that is in
> the TIF format?

I'm not sure.  I'd have to see the tags in the TIFF file and the header
for the BMP file.  4MB is a pretty big difference. Not big enough to
explain a difference in 8-bit versus 12-bit (per component) color.  Too
big to be (easily) explained by "ancillary" information, like notes put
in by the photographer, etc.

> Is there a good reason not to save my scans in BMP rather than TIF?

Well, there are a number of technical reasons, but if you're not
distributing the images, probably not any practical ones.  Technically,
TIFF will be more widely supported and it supports a much larger
variety of image types than BMP.  For example, TIFF can easily handle
12-bit per component color and CMYK while BMP can't.  TIFF readers
might have trouble with it, but it's no problem to represent it in the
TIFF data stream.

TTYL, DougF