On Jun 15, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

>> I use primarily prime lenses with the Pentax K 10D.
>
> Interesting. For my first thirty years of photography I never used a
> zoom. Not once. Zilch. Their performance didn't warrant it. But now I
> find that the new zooms are easily the equal of the primes at middle
> stops. And it seems that the camera companies are devoting a lot of
> resources to the development of better zooms. All of which is paying
> off. So I'm using zooms, and enjoying the freedom of being able to
> dial in my focal length as required.

I'm not entirely sure why either, but perhaps it's because as far as
I can see, my current set of primes (14/21/28/43/70) makes me happier
than any of the zooms I've tried in this focal length range. The only
zoom I've really liked in the Pentax line has been the 20-35, and
since I got the 21/28/43 trio I find I just don't use it very much at
all. I bought the 50-200 for a bit of reach and haven't taken more
than 40 test photos with it.

It's in direct contrast to how much I enjoy using the Oly 11-22 and
Leica 14-50 zooms on the L1... I have 20 and 35 mm prime lenses for
that system too, but I find myself enjoying using the zooms much more
there. They are top notch performers and are returning superb image
quality.

Perhaps this will all turn about when the DA* zooms finally come
available. Such it is... ;-)

Godfrey