thanks to all who replied.
today I used some force and now it seems to work better.

the short version:

looks like the aperture lever is/was bent such that
somehow the camera releasing it for stopping down did
not have effect.
slightly re-bending it did have positive effect,
and the over-exposure problem seems to be gone,
but I guess having it looked at it by pentax to get it
really fixed wouldn't be a bad idea -- aperture lever
doesn't look extremely well.
current shape of aperture lever, after applying a little force:
http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~belinfan/lens/
(handheld k10d + panagor auto macro converter (K) + FA*28-70/2.8;
kitchen halogen lighting - best I could do on short notice)

the long version:

I tried exercising the aperture level, as suggested.
made some more test shots; no effect.
actually, looked like the more stopping down
I wanted, the larger the over-exposure.

I looked a bit better at the lens.
actually, the aperture level seems bent away from the lens,
i.e. it is not fully parallel
with the bigger thing next to it, but it is sticking out a bit away
from the lens, so where it is furthest away from the lens flange it
also most far away from the lens.

I actually was aware of this, but had not paid to much attention
(but what do I know of how the lever should
actually look on this particular lens.)

new hypothesis: maybe the aperture lever somehow gets stuck
inside the body and doesn't get released, even when the body
does attempt to stop down the lens.

I took some looks at the lens while doing the K10D preview
with sufficient long time, to see if diafragma closes at all,
and bingo, looks like the lens isn't stopped down at all.

hypothesis seems more and more likely.

I tried something nasty: I tried to bent the aperture lever
back a bit. once again do the preview thing.
now the diafragma does close.
more test shots, quick test series using the hyper-program
shift to stop down a bit more in every exposure.
they are not entirely evenly lit, but the over-exposure seems
to be gone. exposure might be explained by small shift of the
camera, I guess (even though you wouldn't want that).

I did not try the same preview experiment with Z1 before
re-bending; I did try after, the dof-preview shows stopping down.

now that I had the Z1 next to the k10d I also noticed
the smaller 'mirror house' of k10d - and I noticed a small
scratch in the k10d black matte paint in the mirror housing,
on the part that is parallel with the sensor at the opposite
side of the aperture lever notch in the body, where the straight
vertical line of the mirror-housing box is shifted sideways one
mili-meter or so.
the scratch is about 1 cm long, semi-circular,
and really looks like made by something sticking out
from a lens that was turned in an attempt to mount it.
there are also minor 'scrape signs' just under the bottom
opening for the lens flange (near the contacts)

since the free space in the lens mount is now smaller
than with the non-digital camera's I've been using so far,
I'm really starting to wonder if I tried to put on the lens
some 180 degrees off and then somehow bent the aperture lever
on the lens. I know I'm not especially careful when changing
lenses; usually it 'just works'.

Regards,
Axel.