SUPPLY AND DEMAND, THE A LENSES ARE NOT ONLY MORE DESIRABLE
DUE TO FUNCTIONALITY, THEY ARE ALSO RARER.
JCO

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Vic Mortelmans
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2007 3:45 PM
To: pentax epostlijst
Subject: what's the difference between M and A?

Hi,

OK, obviously I do know that A-lenses have an A-modus, allowing the
camera to set the aperture (shutter-priority modes), while M-lenses
always require the aperture to be set on the lens.

But being in persuit of a 50mm f/1.4, I notice that the A-model is
priced at least twice as high as the M-model, if not more.

Looking at the mechanics of the diaphragma, I wonder if an A-lens is
that different, apart from the electronic contact that probably doesn't
do anything more than telling the camera whether the A-mode is on or
off.

And I also assume that the 50mm f/1.4 M and A are optically identical?

So is there any objective reason for the price difference, or is it just

the game of demand and available quantity that sets the price?

Groeten,
Vic