From: "Richard Seaman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:27:14 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re: approaching animals

Ken,

    I agree totally about avoiding eye contact totally when
approaching
animals (in my case birds, mammals and reptiles - I'm not sure that
insects
or spiders care if you're looking at them).  However, I've noticed
that if I
get close to a bird and then start photographing it, and then I look
away,
then they sometimes seem to take this as an opportunity to make their
escape!

    So it seems to me that once I've got close to an animal and
started
looking at it(and pointing a lens, which looks like a big eye, at
something
must be tantamount to looking at it), then I might need to keep
looking at
it in order to "pin it down" and prevent it from moving.

    I know that the principle I've outlined isn't true in all cases,
but has
anyone experienced the same thing?

Richard.

home phone: (1)(847) 244 5463
home page:  www.richard-seaman.com

--- original message, with snips ---

All animals, including humans, create a bubble of comfort around
themselves.  If you invade that bubble, an animal will resort to
either
flight or fight.  I found, however, that if I did not make eye contact
with an animal and if I acted as if I was going to walk by them, I
could get inside that bubble of comfort and stay there as long as I
made no threatening motion.

It works with all animals, wild, domestic or human.