Godfrey,

>>Generally this is tracked on a per-program basis. The first time a
>>program initiates an outbound connection you are asked to authorize
>>it, afterwards the Firewall software remembers what has been
>>authorized. Some firewall packages offer a third 'one time'
>>authorization option as well.
>

> I figured this kind of thing would be necessary. Sounds like a royal
> pain in the butt to me, particularly if you have a complex system and
> the things you are connecting to have a degree of variability and
> hand-off the connection to other IP addresses frequently.

actually it's not problem at all. I'm running Kerio Personal Firewall on
my WXP based notebook (until Apple releases something similar - A4 size,
1.2kg I am stuck with PC) and apart from that no other "security"
related program such as anti-virus or anti-spyware (they are IMHO even
worse than malware) is running on it.

First time you get a connection attempt from/to unknown program, KPF
displays an alert and let you decide whether it's legitimate. You can
then set up a rule which will allow/deny the program to access specific
port/range/protocol/IP address/es (just like on a normal unix based
firewall - because in fact, KPF is unix based firewall). It also does
MD-5 checksum of actual binaries so it's unlikely that any program
trying to pretend it's something else stays unnoticed.

Needless to say I never had a security related problem with my notebook
(and I use it "in the wild" quite often). And it's running at full speed
because there's no "anti-whatewer" to slow it down constantly (impact of
KPF is negligible). Higly recommened for all PC users (especially older
version 2.1.5). Mac users need not apply (yet).

Cheers,

Peter