That sounds like perfect bullshit to me.  It's a simple assembly easily
manufactured with similar assemblies in many other devices.  However
there's no reason to use old technology.  There are alternate designs
that would have totally digital output, and be even less expensive, and
more reliable.

--
All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.