Not the size of the forests but how much virgin forest there was.  Burn
the forest, plant corn and squash around the big trees that are still
standing, clear the land one or two more years, move to new location and
repeat.  You run out of Virgin forest mighty fast that way.

--
All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.