The 2 segment meter will compensate for backlighting
and other not so easy to figure out lighting
situations where just centerweight can not. It's not
all that unpredictable, the split image range finder
is the central sensor and everything else is the
outter, if you get the flash warning when the whole
area seems well lit it's cause of the meter seeing a
possible back lit scene. you can also see the effects
in the metering when using centerweight then switching
to a FA lens. The MZ-M still does expose well and as
long as you watch what the camera is telling you you
should be fine.

.