On Jul 16, 2007, at 14:01, David J Brooks wrote:

> HI all.
>
> I recently bout on eof the above, as i need more external storage. I
> was trying to get the WD pocket one that could swap between Mac and PC
> but the companies supplier was on back order and i got this.
>
> I sent a email to Maxtor to see if i could swap between Mac and PC(XP
> Home) and i have pasted the reply below.
>
> This things comes wioth preloaded software for Mac/PC plug and play.
> How do i know if its FAT 32 or NTFS. They say if ist FAt 32  the mac
> will read it but not visa versa. I'm more concerned about backing up
> on the PC but would like the Mac to read it sometimes if possible.
>
> Any comments here, I dont want to lose files if i take it from the pc
> to the mac.

To tell the format, do this (with the drive hooked up to your PC):

Double-click on "My Computer"

Right-click on the drive letter that is your external drive.

Select "Properties"

There will be box on the "general" tab that says "Label" and may or
may not have a name for the harddrive in there

Underneath that is "Type"

The key line is the 3rd one: File System.  If it says "FAT32" or
"FAT" or anything OTHER than NTFS, you should be able to see all of
the files on there from your Mac - and write more to that disc with
either computer and be able to see them from the other.

  -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minneapolis, MN