I'm still shooting and developing B&W as well.

I bought a few liters of Rodinal when Agfa went under, all in 500ml
bottles. From what I've read, it will last a long time. It's one of my
favorite developers, so I haven't been giving it a chance to sit around
in opened bottles. AFAIK, the sealed bottles will last indefinitely.

I also use HC-110, which is similarly reputed to last a very long time.
I use it less frequently and have used concentrate that was almost 1
year out of date with no problems - the development times per dilution
and temp were consistent with fresh concentrate.  However, the oldest
bottle of HC110 got a bit "chunky" towards the end - as if something was
starting to precipitate out. It also turned a slightly darker color.

One experience I had - when I inherited my father's photo gear, there
was lots of chemistry that was decades old.

I used the half bottle of rapid fixer (concentrate) and it worked fine.
(Of course -with fixer, improperly fixed film may look fine for a while
but it's been a few years and everything seems OK.)

He had powder developer in cans and those mixed up great -
indistinguishable from brand new. However, almost everything in the
paper/foil packets that was over 10 years old or so had some degree of a
brown tint to it. The Microdol (which usually is a little brown anyhow)
and D76 worked fine. I mixed up some dektol and it was the color of cola
- but worked OK as a film developer, and despite the color was
consistent with the development times for D72 (which it is very similar to.)

Of the chemistry I have on hand, I'm most concerned about the HC110 and
the stuff in paper/foil packets (I bought a big lot of D76 off ebay a
few years ago.) But odds are everything will out last me.

- MCC

Toralf Lund wrote:

> Anyhow, I was just wondering if any of you lot have any opinions on the
> *actual* shelf life of photo chemicals, notably Rodinal developer and
> Agefix fixer. I mean, I know what the official white-papers and various
> other resources on the web will tell you, but I suspect the figures
> given are generally very pessimistic.

Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, Michigan
www.markcassino.com