Thanks, Mark,

On Jul 29, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Mark Cassino wrote:

> Well, equipment helps - a 200mm macro, with the crop factor of the
> K10D
> or *ist-D, lets you shoot from 2.5 to 3 feet away - that's a huge help
> vs a 100 mm macro which, of course, would require you to get twice as
> close.

Aha!  My macro is a 100 mm, so I have to get too close, or crop the
final photo too much.  Obviously, I need a longer lens.

> That said, I always get low on the subject and crawl up to it from
> a low
> position - hard on the knees, but less likely to spook the subject.

Not an option for me, I'm afraid.  Broken back and sciatica.  If I
get down on my knees  I might just stay there!

> In addition, perching dragonflies - the pennants, meadowhawks,
> skimmers,
> - will usually return to the same perch. So when they fly off just
> when
> you get them in focus, just sit still and wait for them to return.
> That
> does not work with darners, clubtails, and other non-perching
> dragonflies.
>
> Move when they move. If the dragonfly is perched on a stalk of grass,
> and is bouncing around in the wind, it will have a hard time
> distinguishing you from the background - unless you are wearing
> plaid or
> some bright color.
>
> Lastly - patience. That Halloween pennant that Bill and I shot just
> could not sit still for a long time. Suddenly it decided that it
> was at
> the best perch, and just stopped. He kept returning to the same place
> time and time again. I had followed him for some time before that,
> so he
> obviously just reached the conclusion that we were harmless, and just
> started to ignore us.
>
> But - shooting bugs is basically a form of hunting, and patience is a
> part of that.
>
> HTH -

Good tips.  I'll try to put them into practice the next time I'm near
a good dragonfly habitat.

BTW, if you don't already have your insect shots with a good agency
you should look into it.

Bob