J and C did this.  They shaved the diameter and the thickness of 120
spools with the original film still on them.  This created a bit of an
inward bend on the flanges.  They worked fine initially, but would jam
up the camera when used for take up.  I kept a few old metal 620 spools
on hand for take-up and trashed the shaved spools once they were empty.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/