On 31 Oct 2001, at 19:29, Max McRae wrote:

> Guys,
> I saw a used, manual version of this lens in an adaptall mount, at a good
> price, at a local dealers.
> I'm tempted to buy it after reading a few reviews of it on
> photographyreview.com.
> Anybody out there know this lens, and can advise me one way or the other?

Hi Max,

As mentioned by other listers the SP is a pretty good lens, an acquaintance
of mine has one (the green IF version), the Adaptall mount is not as sure as
a fixed mount but is OK, it only has to support the body as the lens has a
sturdy tripod mount. The hood comes off and bayonets on to the front of the
lens and can be stored reversed, it rattles a bit on the one I saw. The front
lens elements are quite exposed without the hood on, so it has to be
handled carefully. But the most prevalent issue is that from recollection it is
nearly a kilogram lighter than my SMCPA*300f2.8 apart from being far
cheaper.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA