I've just used my K10D for a weekend of motorsports photography.
This is the first time I've tried using the shake reduction while
panning, and I was interested to see how it would work.

The short answer is - very well.  According to some technical
reports that I've seen the shake reduction is frequency-limited.
Whether that is the reason or not the camera appears to allow
me to pan without trying to compensate for that, while at the
same time smoothing out any uneveness in the motion.

One thing that does have a problem, though, is using an AF TC
(such as my 1.4x) with an AF lens.  The camera thinks that the
focal length in use is that of the lens, and there's no way to
override it!  This guarantees that the shake reduction is going
to under-correct for any problems it detects  :-(