There is one type of lighting where I found it useful to set
the WB manually, while shooting RAW.

While shooting in low ncandescent light,
if I use the auto white balance, the images turn to be way underexposed
when the balance is corrected. (this is on *istDS)
It may be possible to do exposure compensation instead, but I haven't
tried this yet.

Igor

Fri Aug 10 11:54:54 EDT 2007