On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, keith_w wrote:

> Steel or aluminum?

Cylinders were steel or austenitic cast iron.

> Inside or outside?

Not my department.

> How long stored (left without attention)?

Over a winter or two.

> I'm unable to explain that phenomenon, Godfrey.

I'm not trying to. I'm reporting it.

> We may even get rid of some pre-conceptions here!  <g>

I have many years of using WD-40 and other lubricants in practical
use as a mechanic, no pre-conceptions, and very little energy to
debate about it. I'm reporting what I found in using it over about a
30 year period. If others' experiences differ, well, that's fine but
it does not negate my observations.