Rebekah wrote:
> Thanks scott
>
> What awesome information, I'll definitely look around where I am for a
> local store, although it seems like a doubtful situation.  Have you
> ever tried sending your film out to online developing/scanning
> services?
>
> rg2

We used to send our C-41 to Clark Color.  They're very affordable and
often had free scanning.  It wasn't high resolution, but it was good
enough for web presentation.  Quality had been very good, better than
the big box mini-labs, for several years - printed on real, live photo
paper.  The C-41 B&W I sent them came back on traditional black and
white paper.  We were very pleased.

The last batch we sent them came back on HP ink jet paper that was so
thin you could see the HP branding marks from the front.  Colors were
horrible.  Even after less than a year, the photographs are starting to
deteriorate.  We haven't sent anything to them since.  I don't have any
other experience with that type of mail-order processor.

As for the Fuji processing via Wal-Mart, it looks like Fuji operates
several processing facilities in the US.  My film ends up in Maryland.
You may have better or worse luck elsewhere.  However, they no longer
operate their E-6 facility.  All slide film sent to Fuji is now
processed at Dwayne's Photo.  They're the same folks who do Kodachrome
and their quality is generally very good.  Wal-Mart says to allow two
weeks, but it's never taken more than 10 calendar days.  It's usually
back in about a week.

One last thing - if you shoot any medium format, you can drop it off at
Wal-Mart, too.  They don't charge any differently per exposure than they
do for 35mm.  So a roll of 120 with prints works out to about $2.  I
wouldn't process someone's wedding photos that way, but it's certainly
affordable.  Just make sure you note on the envelope that it's 120 C-41.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/