On 23/08/07, Tom C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The more and more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent that
> regardless of how things look on my monitor I can be almost guaranteed it
> won't look the same on someone else's, regardless of calibration, etc.
>
> If contrast is adjustable, doesn't this compensate for the contrast the
> monitor is spec'd to have?

Calibration using fixed black and white luminance points fixes the
contrast ratio, if you are aiming to emulate the sRGB as your monitor
device space then the value you should be setting for white luminance
is about 80 cd/m2. At that luminance the better CRTs will be able to
manage around 0.2 cd/m2 and most TFT will manage around 0.4 cd/m2 or
0.2 cd/m2 for the better high contrast models. A luminance range of
0.2 to 80 cd/m2 is 1:400.

It a pity stuff all people seem to appreciate these fundamentals.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/Color/sRGB

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA