----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Loveless"
Subject: Re: FIND

> Thanks, Bill.  I really don't know much about D-max, so a I took a few
> minutes to look it up and edumecate myself.  Googling "D-max" returns
> quite a few non-photo results.  Of course, the first photo related
> result is Kenny's site.
>
> Anyway, looks like most of the folks at photo.net who are willing to use
> numbers think that Kodachrome 64 has a D-max in the 3.7-3.8 range.
> Kenny boy thinks Velvia has a higher D-max than Kodachrome, but he
> probably just read that on the forums at apug.

I had this debate with Paal Jensen a few years ago regarding Velvia (his pet
film) and Kodachrome (for me, the film that can do no wrong).
I put a sample of each unexposed/processed film to the densitometer, and the
Kodachrome was definitely higher, though honestly, I don't remember by how
much, I do recall it was significant. I suspect Velvia would be just at the
limit of scanning for most scanners.

William Robb