Well, others probably have much more experience here but I thought I might
mention that I have a 1000DTL (an old M42 mount camera) that is built like a
tank and, in my admittedly limited use of it, seems to be very reliable.  There
is no evidence of the shutter tapering at the high speeds (can't say the same
for my two Spotmatics :-(   ) and it does have a spot meter option.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney, Australia