There seem to be some confusions about what and how a polarizer can
affect a camera's operation. A simplistic short course on the
subject ...

What is polarized light?

Polarized light is light in which all the light rays are vibrating in
parallel planes.

What is a polarizing filter?

A polarizing filter is an optical  grate that allows passage of light
rays which are vibrating in parallel alignment to the grate. Light
rays that are at an angle to the grate are absorbed in proportion to
how far out of alignment they are, ideally until if the light ray is
at 90 degrees to the grate it is entirely absorbed.

There are several kinds of things that "naturally" polarize light,
most common of which are flat sheets of glass and mirrors, prisms,
and like specular reflecting surfaces (like the surface of still
water in a pond). The use of a polarizing filter to remove a great
deal of specular reflection from objects like this is dependent upon
this natural property of light - polarization through reflection.

What is a linear polarizer?

A linear polarizer is a simple optical polarizing grate. Light
passing in either direction through it is polarized on exit.

What is a circular polarizer?

A circular polarizer is a filter assembly comprised of an optical
grate followed by a quarter wave plate. The notion is that the grate
polarizes the light on entry, then the resulting polarized light is
depolarized on exit so as to be non-polarized on exit *but minus all
the light rays that were not parallel to the optical grate on entry*.
Circular polarizers are directional: light rays passing in the
correct direction through the filter is not polarized on exit. Light
rays passing through the filter in the wrong direction is polarized
on exit.

Modern SLR and other cameras often use mirrors and prisms in the
mirror box and elsewhere as 'light pipes' to metering and focus
sensors. In such cameras, the natural polarization through reflection
can cause the sensors to have incorrect inputs which causes aberrant
behavior. For this reason the circular polarizer was invented: it
does the job that was desired of a polarizing filter ... to remove
the depolarized component of a light source in a scene ... without
leaving the light polarized as it entered the light pipes to AF and
metering sensors behind a lens.

Most Pentax SLRs that I'm familiar with (MX, *ist D through K10D)
site all their exposure sensors behind the focusing screen. This
means that linear polarizers generally do not affect their exposure
readings because the focusing screen acts as a scattering diffuser,
automatically depolarizing the light that passed through it.

However, most AF SLRs (and I think this includes the Pentax DSLRs)
have a light pipe which includes a secondary mirror along with a
semisilvered part of the main mirror to direct some of the incoming
light to a contrast comparator sensor ... if you used a linear
polarizer on these bodies and AF operation, the combination of
polarized light and the light pipe can cause aberrations in the AF
operation.

IN the Luminous Landscape discussion, I believe what they are
referring to when they say "manual metering" cameras are cameras for
which you are making exposure meter readings external to the lens/
viewfinder system and setting a set of exposure values manually. In
this case, your meter readings may be off because, if you are using a
polarizing filter, the polarizing filter can absorb a variable amount
of light based on its minimum absorbtion density and the amount of
depolarized light in the scene that it is absorbing. This can vary
from 1.5 to 4 stops worth of light, depending on the scene and the
orientation of the polarizing filter combined.

Most older cameras, particularly manual focus models, do not require
circular polarizer filters. But as a point of convenience and to take
care of possibilities that might arise, it is probably sensible to
only buy circular polarizers these days. The premium add-on cost is
relatively small and that way you know you won't have to worry about
buying another filter if you buy another camera which requires it for
proper operation.

Godfrey