On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:48:20 -0000, Frits J. Wthrich wrote:

>How are Tamron teleconverters compared to Pentax? I see there are Tamron
>1.4x AF teleconverters for much less then the Pentax 1.4x-L. Is there a big
>difference in quality? I am thinking of using it between my SMC-A 400mm
>f/5.6 and my PZ-1.

Hi Frits,

I am not sure about this Tamron, but I have a similar 1.4 AF converter made by Sigma.

I also have the 1.4x L converter and the big difference is that the Sigma does cause
some
vignetting when used with big glass like the 300mm f/2.8. The Pentax L does not.
(I have the 1.4x and 2x AF EX Sigma converters, but hardly use them)

This is caused mainly by the 'snout' the L converters have, that goes inside the lens,
and because the aperture of the converter-lens is a bit bigger.

It should be OK on the 5.6 400mm I guess ...

Regards, Jan van Wijk