John Sessoms wrote:
> From:
> Scott Loveless
>
>> Next is fixer.  Depending on the film and the age of the fixer, it
>> usually takes around 5 minutes.  This goes back into the bottle, too.
>> As the fixer depletes it will take longer to clear the film.  So keep
>> an eye on it.  There are quite a few methods for determining fixer
>> strength.  When the fixer takes more than 10 minutes I dump the bottle
>> and mix up another gallon.  My only exception is with T-grain films.
>> Any fixer I use to clear T-Max or Delta films goes right down the
>> drain.  Those films deplete the fixer more than traditional black and
>> white, such as HP5 or Plus-X.
>>
> I don't think it's such a good idea to pour used fixer down the drains.
> Silver is a cumulative toxin like mercury.

You're probably right about it not being a good idea.  At the peak of my
processing I was doing about 6 rolls a week.  However, with the number
of people doing this sort of thing (not many at all anymore) and the
small amount I do, I seriously doubt it's any worse for the treatment
plant than the stuff I use to clean the toilet.  If it was, we probably
wouldn't be able to buy the film or the chemicals.

Granted if I was processing multiple rolls per day, every day, I would
collect it and find some way to dispose of it.  I imagine businesses
aren't allowed to dump that stuff down the drain.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/