I cannot confirm that in Europe wider lenses are required. But I agree
that the combo DA 16-45/4 and DA 50-200/3.5-5.6 is a very suitable and
reasonably light travelling kit. This also considering (which has not
been mentioned in the discussions) that having to change lenses is not
always convenient as a tourist because of all impressions you get and
the generally hectic situation in European cities. I keep my standard
lenses for quiter situations in nature, though I use the FA 50/1.4 or FA
35/2 sometimes for low light, and one of both is for me a suitable third
travelling lens.

Henk