Steam railfans are an odd lot.  In the early 70's, I worked for a
railroad at their headquarters.  Most steam disappeared from US
railroads by the early 50's, forced out by desiel electric
locomotives.  Our operating department was staffed by folks who
grew-up operating steam, former train engineers.  To a man, they would
have abandoned the office jobs if they could go back to being a steam
locomotive engineer.
Regards,  Bob S.