I grew up in Rutland. It was the second largest city in Vermont with 16,000
souls. The road from my rural home to town took us over an arched
cement/steel bridge that spanned a narrower part of the Rutland yard. This
was the one of , if not the largest yard in New England at the time. It was
one of . My dad (now deceased) took me many times to a spot on the bridge
where we could sit and watch the goats make trains and switching of engines
at the round house. We saw trains come from the west & south with produce
and such for New England and trains being built to carry apples, marble,
granite and timber back. Twice he took me to a narrow, wooded glen where the
train from Barrie, laden with granite, would wind around following These
were the days of steam, mind you. They were magical dragons belching smoke
and steam and making a wonderful racket.

http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/Shaughnessy.htm

The yard and the trains are gone now. A shopping mall has replaced the yard
and all the track has been torn up.

I miss my dad.

Regards,
Bob...
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates . .
it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow."