On Sep 14, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

>> Lightroom allows you to export metadata to and from the files you are
>> working with. I don't believe there is a function to export to CSV or
>> plain text files ... for DNG, JPEG, TIFF and PSD files, metadata is
>> appended into the body of the files themselves as they are container
>> formats. But in the case of native format RAW files ... these are
>> handled as read only, so when you "export metadata to file" with
>> them, the metadata is written into .xmp sidecar files which are plain
>> text and can be opened with any text editor.
>
> But it's one .xmp sidecar file per image, isn't it? What I want (and
> what the Pentax browser does) is to have all the metadata from an
> entire directory full of images exported into a single file.
>
> I guess using Pentax Photo Browser for this purpose isn't particularly
> onerous, but I do most of my processing in Lightroom and it would be
> nice if I didn't have to use a separate app.

I know what you mean, but I think it's beyond what Lightroom's
designers currently have in mind. I'd like to be able to export a
text list with selectable parameters drawn from the Library grid
mode, like for example:

filename - date of capture - date of modification - focal length -
iso - exposure time - aperture

That facility could be useful for many purposes. I use such listings
driven by iView MediaPro fairly often.

Godfrey