mike wilson wrote:

> AVG anti virus ... Zone alarm firewall ...

I'll add my vote for AVG anti-virus free edition.  I've been using it
for several years.  Windows builds of ClamAV are also a good choice in
the "free" end of the market.

I'll throw my support behind Zone Alarm, too.  I use it even behind the
hardware firewall.  I use Zone Alarm to control which applications get
to talk to the world from inside my computer.  Most hardware firewalls
are very permissive about what traffic can go from "inside" to
"outside", and Zone Alarm has helped me catch (and prevent) several
applications from "phoning home".

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)