My understanding is, Frank, that very often when I sit down to edit my
stuff, I tend to want to recreate the light the way I remember it. And
it turns out that many times my memory for light is simply unreliable.

So I would come up with the rendering that seems correct to me but my
mind is limited by my incorrect memory. Then returning to the shot
sometime thereafter, or better yet starting to edit not immediately
after the shot helps to unremember the light and therefore get better
rendering.

I like the second better though I think that the first one could have
rights to exist with slight modifications as well.

Cheers.

Boris