It doesn't know which aperture you choose. You do. It assumes. If you
set the ISO on the back of the flash to the ISO you are going to use,
(it tops out at 800). The red and green scales, (the red and green bars
under the fstop scale), look something like this (forgive the crappy
text graphics).

______w__I__t Green (High Power)
__________w__I__t Red (Low Power)

On the sliding scale Pick the nearest f stop to the tall center uptick
either red or green depending on where you set the auto/power setting.
The flash assumes that setting. The meter and feet values tell you the
minimum, (where the horizontal bar begins), and maximum, (where the
uptic, index mark), distance that the flash sensor will give a good
exposure. You can extrapolate the f stop values higher ISOs but you kind
of run out of f stops at distances where the sensor is guaranteed to work.

Boris Liberman wrote:
> Cory, when you say "work well" you mean that flash measures the light
> on its own and it gives correct exposure as a result, right? If so,
> how does flash knows which aperture I chose?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 9/24/07, cbwaters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Boris,
>> I have both the AF 200T and the 280.  They both seem to work well in their
>> "auto" setting with my K10.  Of course, TTL is out, but I think I used them
>> mostly in auto on the *istD anyway.
>>
>> Cory

Remember, it’s pillage then burn.