Long ago and far away when I was a graduate student, my University still
had keypunch machines and card readers, just in case. However my horror
story doesn't really involve those.

I worked the midnight to 4AM shift two days a week to help pay for my
Masters, as an assistant administrator. My job was to take in card
decks, set them up in the reader match them up with the printed output
and file them until the user picked them up, and give out the correct
cards and output to users, (and yes some did show up between midnight an
4am). In between I kept track of our high speed IBM printers and reload
them with paper when they'd alarm and the "soundproof" covers would
clamshell open, and keep track of the system to make sure all was well,
(not that I was authorized to actually fix problems, I was supposed to
call a "real" administrator to press the reset button)

One night I wasn't keeping as close track of paper supplies as I should
have, and one of the decks was running low. I had just had delivered a
really greasy Greek style pizza and had placed the box on top of one of
the "soundproof" covers. Wonder of wonders it had arrived hot, to hot to
eat in fact. So while I waited for it to cool I put my feet up on a desk
and was reading my experimental statistics book. Suddenly a bell begins
to ring, and I watched with helpless horror, as the printer cover clam
shelled open, dumping my dinner face down on the floor.

--
Remember, it’s pillage then burn.