On 9/27/07, Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> Actually I see any photographic competition as utterly pointless. <snip>

I agree 100%!

Funny thing is, I didn't see The Pentax Gallery as a competition.  I
thought that as long as the photos met a minimum standard, they were
in, and it would be a cool place from which to show photos.  I didn't
see it as "grading" or "rating" photos, merely "accepting".

I think it's that misconception that pisses me off most.  I didn't
understand it as a competition at all, and clearly it is.  I know my
photos aren't all pretty or pleasing or spectacular, so really they
don't stand a chance against some that are in the gallery, but I have
to admit to feeling a bit stung when I saw some rather banal, ordinary
photos that got accepted, while mine all got the boot.  It may be that
these other photos were accepted early, when there were far fewer
voters, and the gallery "needed" photos, but it certainly points to a
glaring inconsitency in the acceptance procedure, IMHO.

Too bad, because had it been set up properly, it could have been fun.
Having everything rejected isn't fun at all...

cheers,
frank