They were most likely spent solid round shot, sort of like cast iron bowling
balls. They hit the ground and then roll and bounce a long way until the come to
a stop. They were designed to do that as the bouncing balls played havoc with
massed troops. So Tom is correct in thinking many would wind up in a low point
like that road, although I would think that that road was a long way beyond
their impact point and they simply rolled into that cut. There is nothing in the
photos to give size relationships but they are most likely 8, 12, or 16 pound
balls as that was what most light field artillery was in those days, that road
is very narrow because those balls are smaller than most folks would think.