I had the SMC-P version of this lens on my K10D when it decided it would
rather bounce off the concrete floor than stay in my hand.  I replaced
it with the Tamron version (got a good price on it, and couldn't find
the SMC-P variant anywhere).  But I am finding (based on my first few
test shots) that the Tamron version is much, much less sharp than the
Pentax. They appear identical, and claimed by many to be the same lens
optically.

-----

Pentax rebranded a 28-105 from Tamron. It was reportedly inferior to the
(then current) FA Power Zoom 28-105 F4-5.6. That one was a lovely zoom
lens. If you can find a used one of those, I would get it. But they seem
to have gotten rarer in the used market. OTOH, I believe it is still
available new, but currently backordered. Try here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40725-USA/Pentax_27667_Zoom_Wide_Angle_SMCP_FA.html

Otherwise, the current FA 28-105 (F3.2 to something) is (I believe)
still available (but also backordered). Many people like it, although it
is not as good as the FA 24-90. But it is certainly a bargain, and
probably superior to both the older Tamron and the Pentax version of the
Tamron.

Joe