Bob W pisze:
>> The only problem are people who should appear in more than
>> one "context"
>> (like a workmate with whom we worked in more than one place).
>> In such a
>> situation we have to choose one context over another or make
>> "category
>> reference" (supported by some software packages) so that we
>> have a link
>> to one category from several contexts.
>
> This is precisely the problem with any hierarchical organisation
> imposed on non-hierarchical subject matter, and the reason why they so
> often fail. You also chose an example - genetic relationships - that
> is well-suited to a tree structure, so it looks as though it would
> work for all subject matter. Unfortunately for you it won't.
[...]
> I do try to be careful not to set these things up for subject matter
> which is not really hierarchical.

Well, I agree that a _strict_ hierarchical structure does not solve all
the problems with people who should appear in different contexts -
although even then I would prefer hierarchical structure over a flat one
and just live with the limitations (after all, in a family tree the main
problem are people marrying different members of the same family - there
are not many persons like this).

Luckily, there is a cure for at least some of these limitations. I wrote
about category references which are effectively a way for (some)
databases to show one category (i.e. one person) in different contexts.
They behave much like symlinks in Unix filesystems and so they solve
precisely the problem I mentioned above.

Pawel