Yes, Godfrey, I understand your sentiment.

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> There are so few choices in this focal length range, particularly for
> something usable on 35mm film, if you can get it cheap enough, and
> return it, it's probably worth a shot.

That's what I am working about - asking questions from the sellers
'cause still it is not negligible sum of money in question.

> I didn't like the Sigma 14mm much. I found it's size and weight, with
> that bulbous front element, difficult to work with and the flare
> produced by the example I had was pervasive. It seemed to have poor
> sharpness, a smeary look particularly off-center, until stopped well
> down to f/5.6 or smaller lens openings.

This is really strange. You see, I have Sigma 18/3.5 that is about to
change hands. The only gripe I have about it is that it is manual focus,
like I mentioned on numerous occasions. I find it quite sharp, really
almost free of any geometrical distortions and not as prone to flare as
it could have been. Indeed, Pentax SMC FAJ 18-35 is more resistant to
flare, but Sigma is not all that bad.

In fact, I had to deal with three Sigma lenses - AF 28-135 zoom, AF
24/2.8 Superwide Macro II, and 18/3.5 manual focus lens. None of the
three were lemons or duds. They each had their quirks but all of them
were perfectly decent lenses.

> Might have been a bad example. Which supports my other inclination to
> not waste time on Sigma lenses at all due to their poor consistency
> and build quality. Every Sigma lens I've purchased has required two
> or three exchanges to get a "decent" example, and even then were at
> best only just acceptable. I have always ended up trading the Sigma
> lens back for something else.

That's the problem, that living very far from the seller I cannot easily
exercise my right to exchange it for better sample.

> I'd rather just buy the DA14 or DA12-24 for the DSLR, and then get a
> used Voigtländer Bessa-L and a Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspheric if you want
> to play with ultrawide on film. You can get that combo for around
> $500 for the DA14 and $200 for the film camera with lens...

I might have to just stay with FAJ 18-35 and/or buy FA 20/2.8 to
complement it in certain situations such as low light or smaller footprint.

Or I could wait until Tokina AT-X AF 17/3.5 comes along which is said to
  be almost legendary. And it seems Tokina has less sample variation,
but I may be wrong here as well...

I am yet very much undecided.

But thanks for your input, it is very valuable as usual!

Boris